1740-1772 Market Street Site

Plans to raze the two-story building at 1740-1772 Market Street which is currently leased to David Rio, Proposition Chicken and the former Rebel Bar (now 1772 Market Street) are in the works.

And if approved at the end of this month, a nine-story development designed by Forum Design, with 100 apartments over 4,400 square feet of ground-floor commercial space and parking for 160 bikes, could rise upon the Market Street Hub site which is adjacent to 8 Octavia and across the street from the Flax site to rise as well.

1740 Market Street Rendering

Comments from Plugged-In Readers

1. Posted by Sierrajeff

Speaking of 8 Octavia … drove by it Sunday at 9:00 a.m. while en route to the freeway – almost every set of louvers was closed, such that the building presented a 5-story green wall to the world. While I’m sure it’s nice for the interior residents to be able to block off light (and noise from Octavia), the result is horrible for the rest of the neighborhood.

• Posted by Elitist Pig

We can’t let people have control over their interior environment, it’s much more important that the rest of the neighborhood feel nice about how the building looks. The people actually living in the building shouldn’t factor into the design at all.

• Posted by Orland

I think his point was critical of the design resulting in the effect described.

• Posted by Sierrajeff

My comment is clearly about the effect of the building on the neighborhood – there’s quite a difference in visual impact between a ‘traditional’ residential building (even with all the blinds and curtains drawn on the inside) and having all the giant exterior louvers closed on this multi-story façade.

• Posted by Chris

Well, it is what it is Sierra. There is no right for a neighborhood to have any special “visual effect” unless you are referring to a designated historic district with strict architectural controls. The city generally regulates massing, height, zoning, and other general facts. We don’t live in a Soviet-style state where every aspect of life is dictated by the state.

Some buildings that get built will be pretty, most will be boring, and some might even be ugly to certain people–that is life in the big city! And, I would argue that is what makes a city interesting, even the “not best” buildings add to the mix. Let go of your need to control and just go with the flow.

• Posted by Orland

I hardly think Sj’s comments on the merits of the building’s architecture demonstrate any kind of “need to control” and your insinuation is just dishonest.

• Posted by ebay

I like it.

• Posted by SomaSoldier

I don’t know if I would say the effect is “horrible”, but it is very monochromatic, perhaps what others would consider a brutalist effect. I would suggest a community discussion on possible color schemes to enhance it visually. I personally like rainbows, subtle geometric patterns, and perhaps a thin “skins” would allow them to be changed when faded.

• Posted by Futurist

The LAST thing we need is more so called “community” input on architectural details, color, etc. The Planning Commission does a poor enough job in that category to try and please everyone. It always fails.

Like Chris says (above) the true character of a city is the variety of the buildings AND architectural styles, including the best ones and the no so best.

• Posted by Snark17

I think it looks nice.

• Posted by SF'ing

I think it’s a beautiful building.
      Who wants to look at the freeway. This is an example of architecture that isn’t stud boxes clad in stucco dictated by planning – a gem in my opinion.

• Posted by Sierrajeff

Well, that side faces Octavia, not a freeway. And who wants to face a blank 5-story wall?

• Posted by Orland

I’m also getting over my initial disappointment. It’s growing on me. I just wish the remainder of the buildings proposed for that side of the boulevard would get built.

• Posted by Futurist

I think it’s ridiculous to actually think that residents of a building have some sort of social obligation to open their personal space to the world, to make the world feel better.

Guess what Sierrajeff? the blinds are open AND closed all the time, randomly. Why does that bother you so much?

• Posted by Sierrajeff

Again, try your reading comprehension skills. At no point did I say residents have an obligation to open their interiors to the public. I MERELY NOTED THAT A 5-STORY SOLID BLANK WALL IS UGLY AND OFF-PUTTING. God this site is getting as annoying and presumptive and polarized as everything else in this insane world.

• Posted by Futurist

Well, I read that you “implied” that residents of a building have some sort of “obligation” to society to make their view “pretty”. Quotes are mine. Ugly and off-putting is subjective.

And it’s really NOT a solid, blank wall. It’s a glass curtain wall with automated aluminum louvers. When I walk by there, I find the façade ever changing and, in fact, quite interesting. It’s never the same light and dark; actually lots of nuanced variations. I find it refreshing.

• Posted by George

Architect should have known they would always be closed. If you open them then it feels like you’re in a prison cell with all these bars outside your windows.

• Posted by Futurist

Trouble with your statement is they are NOT always closed.

2. Posted by MDG399

GOOD – Now make it taller.

3. Posted by Zugamenzio Farnsworth

I like the soaring horizontal lines; the curved “cornice” is a nice touch. Nice modern look, with some thoughtful details. IMO: might be pleasant affect to turn the palette gray-blue/cream.

4. Posted by anon2.5

Who is David Rio and how is he popular enough to have his own brand of chai?

5. Posted by Mark

And it’s stumbling distance to Martuni’s!

6. Posted by NoeEnvy

Given the crew that regularly assembles in front of Rebel this can’t happen soon enough. Combined with the development of the Flax site across the street I could see this area becomming a decent little sub-neighborhood.

• Posted by Orland

Yes, i like it very much and it comes as an unexpected and welcome replacement to what is there now.

7. Posted by jhaight

People actually live there? I actually thought it was the new jail. No wonder they close louvers (bars)…for all they spent– views of homeless encampments and cars doesn’t seem very fair.

8. Posted by two beers

The ground floor commercial would surely become reflective-windowed medical offices, adding much character and charm to the neighborhood walking and shopping experience.

9. Posted by Alex

This should definitely be a lot taller since it’s on market. At least make it 10 stories

10. Posted by Jeremy Birns

8 Octavia is artistic. Every time you look at it, the louvers are in different positions. It makes for a nice change to traditional windows. Furthermore, at night when a louver is slightly open, light shines across in a really cool way.

• Posted by moto mayhem

8 octavia is truly the ugliest building in SF. I have changed my route off of the freeway (adding 5 min to my commute) just to avoid it.

• Posted by Jeremy Birns

great, one less car on the road for my commute. Winner = me

• Posted by Frisco

False. The Holiday Inn on Van Ness is the ugliest building in the city.

• Posted by Futurist

Exactly.

11. Posted by Shmendrick

Nice looking building, but a silly, short height. Should be twice as tall.

12. Posted by upmark

I must say many of the designs on market all look the same and are pretty uninspiring…this looks identical to the other 3 buildings up along Sanchez. Can we do better please? I thought the Linea building was the first step in a progressive design for our urban residential buildings.