CFAH

Articles Recently Tagged: Historic Buildings

(76 posts)
Tweaks and Timing for Historic Infill Project [UPDATED]

Tweaks and Timing for Historic Infill Project [UPDATED]

Plans to raze everything but the historic façade of the recently refurbished Polk Gulch building at 1217 Sutter Street have been in the works since late 2020, as we first reported at the time. Built in 1911, after a two-story, wood-framed house on the site – which was built... Read More »

Historic Red Victorian Hotel on the Market for $5 Million

Historic Red Victorian Hotel on the Market for $5 Million

Shuttered by the pandemic and then briefly occupied by the Fishbowl Collective, a multiracial group of trans & gender-nonconforming artists and housing advocates that were granted permission to host socially distanced drag shows from behind the building’s storefront windows in late 2020 but were then forcibly removed from the... Read More »

Historic Addition Further Refined, Recommended for Approval

Historic Addition Further Refined, Recommended for Approval

Having undergone another round of refinements, as newly rendered by Leavitt Architecture below, the plans for a five floor addition atop the historic Key Klub building at 850 Bush Street, which is located within the Lower Nob Hill National Register Historic District and was most recently home to Hopwater... Read More »

Counterintuitive Landmarking Slated to Proceed

Counterintuitive Landmarking Slated to Proceed

San Francisco’s Historic Preservation Commission is slated to initiate a formal landmarking of the historic brick building on the southeast corner of Kansas and 15th Streets next week, a designation which could counterintuitively clear the way for the redevelopment of the 90,000-square-foot Takahashi Trading Company complex into office space.... Read More »

Conversion of Historic Clay Theater Closer to Reality

Conversion of Historic Clay Theater Closer to Reality

Having shuttered in February of last year, plans to convert the historic Clay Theater at 2261 Fillmore Street into a retail space have since been drawn. And a formal application to proceed with the conversion is now working its way through Planning. As proposed, the theater’s façade and marquee... Read More »

Landmark Office Complex Closer to Reality

Landmark Office Complex Closer to Reality

Designed by Gustave Albert (G. Albert) Lansburgh and built for H. Levi & Co. in 1912, the five-story brick warehouse building on the southeast corner of Kansas and 15th Street was constructed with trapezoidal floor plans to fit its triangular parcel that abuts a former Western Pacific Railroad right... Read More »

Redevelopment of Historic Central SoMa Site Closer to Reality

Redevelopment of Historic Central SoMa Site Closer to Reality

While Planning had balked at the original plans for the redevelopment of the historic Central SoMa Tres (now Merhado) building at 130 Townsend Street and the parking lot at 100 Stanford Street behind, which occupies the remainder of the former Inglenook Vineyard warehouse parcel, Presidio Bay Ventures was pushing... Read More »

Historic Neighborhood Substation at Risk of a Collapse

Historic Neighborhood Substation at Risk of a Collapse

Funds that were earmarked for the redevelopment of the long abandoned Market Street Railway substation on the southwest corner of Fillmore and Turk were diverted to a (failed) bailout of the club, restaurant and parking garage across the street back in 2009, at which point the since disbanded Redevelopment... Read More »

Historic Addition Redesigned, Rendered and Formally Proposed

Historic Addition Redesigned, Rendered and Formally Proposed

Having faced some pushback from Planning as originally envisioned, the plans for a five floor addition atop the historic Key Klub building at 850 Bush Street, which is located within the Lower Nob Hill National Register Historic District and currently home to Hopwater Distribution, have been redesigned and formally... Read More »

The Past, Present and Future for This Historical HQ

The Past, Present and Future for This Historical HQ

Designed by Andrew H. Knoll and built in 1922, the two-story, Renaissance Revival-styled building at 678 Mission Street, on the northwest corner of Mission and Annie, was initially leased to the Phoenix Desk and Chair Company. The San Francisco Builders Exchange took over the building in 1926 and stayed... Read More »