Designed by renowned architect Joseph Esherick and built in 1962, the Mid-Century Modern ‘Larsen House’ at 2610 Scott Street traded hands for the first time in late 2014, listed for $9.75 million and fetching $11.75 million or roughly $2,525 per square foot.

Six months later, the “exquisite and rare” 4,656-square-foot Pacific Heights home suddenly returned to the market listed for $11.75 million, was reduced to $10 million, and was then withdrawn from the MLS without a reported sale at the end of last year.

An hour ago, 2610 Scott Street was re-listed anew for $9.75 million, a sale at which would represent an apples-to-apples loss of 21 percent ($2 million) for the rather stunning home over the past two years.

1. Posted by johny

What would make somebody buy this and have to re-list for 2 million less in 2 years? At that price point, it cant be loss of wages, lay offs, can it?
    Stunning home no matter what.

2. Posted by alberto rossi

It looks like all the finishes have been redone. It seems like most MCM fans fetishize the original finishes (see any post about an Eichler), so I wonder what they think of this redo.

• Posted by steve

wait, what changed? the kitchen looks identical 2014 to now. The floors might have been refinished (or it could be the photography) but it doesn’t look like they’ve been replaced. are the baths new?

and, love the house. I’ve I had the money I’d buy it as I think it is both exquisite and rare

• Posted by Bruce

The finishes look the same to me, but most of the staging is different. I’m not necessarily a fan of mid-century architecture, but I think this property is really beautiful.

3. Posted by Anonandon

I guess I am one of the MCM fetish folks, I actually liked it better before.

4. Posted by soccermom

$8.5mm

5. Posted by MKP

cut that tree down ASAP!

6. Posted by Outsider

Classic contemporary and still stunning.

The interiors present incredible scale of dimension.

7. Posted by Joel S.

I noticed that the kitchen has no hood above the stove; is that typical for a renovation like this? I would expect the absence to exercise the smoke detector, and also allow cooking residue to circulate through the adjacent rooms.

• Posted by redseca2

But they put a painting there to soak up the grease. That should work.

8. Posted by inclinejj

Joel: Some of the really high end stoves have down drafting fans. The stove vents downward and out the back of the stove through the wall and outside.

9. Posted by jack

I think this one is an AGA Legacy ($7,500) that does not have a down drafting vent.

• Posted by Abe Linclon

Not only that, but downdraft venting is very inefficient, even from the best brands. Considering that the stove is up against an outside wall, it doesn’t make any sense not to have a good hood over it.

• Posted by inclinejj

Actually a buddy of mine put in one of the top of the line Kitchen Aide down drafting stoves and it does a good job. They are happy with it and the use it all the time.

I will check them out today and tomorrow at the Builders Show.

• Posted by Abe Linclon

Hey, if it works to them great, but I’m guessing they don’t do serious smoke producing stir fry or grill/griddle searing. You should check the big guns (Wolf, Viking, Thermador, Miele, etc.) and ask them point blank which venting works better, downdraft or traditional. I’ll bet you they will all tell you there’s no contest. They only provide it because it’s convenient & it sells. Just look at the promotional material and they all show a pot or pan with just a little steam rising. That tells you everything.

10. Posted by Jim

Odd to stage the separate dining room as a third living room, and putting the dining table in one of the living rooms.

11. Posted by inclinejj

How often do y’all use your dining room? For us never!

• Posted by redseca2

We have a 9 foot dining table that is great for leaving the mail on and the cats use it for sunbathing. Also a great place to keep all of your dining chairs organized.

Last use as a place for guests to eat: Christmas 2013.

12. Posted by AnonAnon

Beautiful house, love the view of the spiral staircase from the dining room table. But for that much scratch I’d like some more outdoor space.

13. Posted by Denis

Looks like it’s in contract.