390 1st Street Site

With the public hearing for the proposed 14-story development to rise on the northwest corner of First and Harrison, a prominent Rincon Hill parcel currently occupied by a Union 76 gas station, scheduled for March 24, a plugged-in source delivers the latest renderings for the building.

390 1st Street Design 2016 Corner

Dubbed “Modera” and designed by TCA Architects for Mill Creek Residential, the proposed 390 1st Street development still totals 180 apartments, but the unit mix now includes 57 studios, 50 one-bedrooms, 68 two-bedrooms and 5 three-bedrooms over a garage for 90 cars.

390 1st Street Design 2016

And the building’s café on the corner has shrunken to 348 square feet in size.

UPDATE: A bonus perspective of the development’s Lansing Street facade and open space for the residents within:

1. Posted by Elitist Pig

348 sq. ft.? Are they just providing a parking space for a food truck to pull in?

2. Posted by soccermom

Why should it look like a preserved historic building at the base, with a modern glass tower rising above?

This is silly. Please design a coherent, good building. Not fakery.

• Posted by Futurist

It doesn’t look like what you’re describing. Many modern projects have a base different from the top.

• Posted by MyOddCommentHandle

it gets thru DBI easier as a “remodel”

• Posted by Flash

I agree that a lot of the forced-facade-preservation buildings look ridiculous, but I don’t think this new construction building has that problem. This is lovely and is designed in 2 parts for functional and aesthetic reasons rather than please NIMBYs. The top floors have better views and so the walls of glass and balconies are most important. The top also adds a modern touch, while the base has more classic look and charm that people can better appreciate from street level.

3. Posted by Orland

I love this development, but can’t help but note that the latest version largely eschews balconies and completely on the bay-viewing east face. The architect’s aesthetic statement? But what of the residents the next 50 years who would likely miss such an amenity? I understand the client has the ultimate say but to what extent should initial considerations of design rule over the long term function of the life of the structure? Certainly an issue which extends beyond this particular project.

• Posted by Elitist Pig

You can’t have a view without a balcony?

• Posted by Brian M

And WE don’t have to view the bicycles and junk which dominate so many balconies. A plus to me.

4. Posted by Nate

I’d certainly choose a unit without a balcony over one with

• Posted by DM

I’d much rather have the square footage of a balcony inside my unit rather than sitting unused (except for storage) on the outside.

5. Posted by SocketSite

UPDATE: We have added a bonus rendering of the building’s Lansing Street facade and open space above.

6. Posted by jwb

Just the base would be a handsome building. They should dump the top.

7. Posted by sanfranciscanistan

I love that Harrison and first look like bucolic greenways in these renderings. Building looks fine, but I still don’t know why you’d actually want to live in that part of town (aside for the views). You’re basically living in a near constant state of freeway onramp gridlock. Not a lot of san francisco character over there.

• Posted by info

“affordable by design”
      ha ha ha

• Posted by The6

Simply: because this is the part of SF that has been zoned for housing. That’s what this city has become. Not even Western SOMA can get upzoned, so people have to live by all the exhaust.

• Posted by SFRealist

You might be surprised to learn that thousands of people live in that neighborhood already. Different people like different things.

8. Posted by moto mayhem

3 bicycles in that picture? I have never seen a single bicycle on that corner

• Posted by futurehistory

Maybe when the Bay Bridge Bike path is finished. . .

• Posted by MP

North of 1st on Harrison is a really steep hill. I doubt anyone is going to be riding a bike up it.

• Posted by yao

I’ve ridden up it on occasion. It’s not that steep and actually less steep than the route I ride up to the Golden Gate bridge.

Given the amount of car traffic though, I doubt I’d want to ride up it often.

• Posted by moto mayhem

will never happen. would be the largest waste of money in hisotry

• Posted by Brian M

In a nation that spent a trillion bucks on the “liberation” of Iraq and Afghanistan, that is quite a bold statement.

9. Posted by The Odd Duck

I would change the top design as it make the building look indecisive in what its should be. The bottom as the warmth and charm of San Francisco of the yesterdays, however the top has that look that seems to be encroaching the city personally. If I was a Borg yes then it would be ok as a person it just lackluster.