The land upon which the Twin Peaks Auto Care Station sits at 598 Portola Drive was acquired by the City of San Francisco in the 1800’s as part of its Laguna Honda site purchase. The Twin Peaks station is the only privately-operated gas station on City-owned property in San Francisco.
Developed in 1972, prior to which horse stables occupied the site, the last long-term lease for the Twin Peaks station expired on June 30, 2014. The station has been operating on a month-to-month lease ever since.
While it seems as though every available gas station site in the city is being redeveloped, the City’s Real Estate Division has been in negotiations with the operator of the Twin Peaks Station to ink a new long-term lease since 2013. And if approved by San Francisco’s Board of Supervisors this afternoon, as is likely and sponsored by Supervisor Yee, a new five-year lease for the site with an option to extend for a second five years will granted with an escalating base rent of $100,913 per year.
Rather than approving of the lease and continued use as proposed, however, the City’s Budget and Legislative Analyst’s Office is recommending that the City Administrator and Director of Real Estate work together “to identify the highest and best use of the site” and consider a rezoning (it’s currently zoned “Public”) to allow for its redevelopment.
There are currently seven (7) gas stations within two miles of the Twin Peaks station.