1601 Mariposa Rendering - Public Plaza

The public hearings to review the Environmental Impact Reports (EIRs) for the proposed 320-unit development to rise up to 4-stories at 1601 Mariposa Street, at the base of Potrero Hill, and the master plan for redeveloping the 49-acre Sunnydale public housing complex in Visitacion Valley, the largest public housing site in San Francisco, will be held this Thursday at noon.

As proposed, the existing 785 units spread across the Sunnydale site would be razed and 1,700 new units would rise, 785 of which would remain subsidized by the San Francisco Housing Authority but would be owned, and newly managed, by Mercy Housing.

While the master plan for redeveloping the public housing site likely won’t meet with much resistance, the hearing for the Potrero Hill project should be a lively affair.

Comments from Plugged-In Readers

1. Posted by Adam

What a vibrant corridor, so full of life! So in reality can I expect there to be nice big metal gates at each end to keep out non-residents, or should I be putting the weekly violin recitals on my calendar now?

I don’t actually have a problem with this project, I just find that rendering laughable.

[Editor’s Note: Try following our link to the overview and site plan for the 1601 Mariposa Street project. As proposed and rendered above, the greenway between Mariposa and 18th Streets would be public and “designed to encourage community engagement” (markets, concerts, etc.).]

• Posted by BobN

The laughable thing is the density. That amount of street life requires more people living nearby (unless it becomes a destination, which it won’t).

2. Posted by John Smith

More David Baker crap. Awful design. Potrero Hill deserves better.

3. Posted by dotpocalypse now

I would say it starts ok, but then gestates into crap over a short amount of time. Like a Chrysler. Everything we fear in Car-chitects.

4. Posted by timbad

I consider myself as ‘living in the neighborhood’ (though not the up-the-hill part), and I welcome this project. as you come down the Hill toward 16th St, which should become a greater transit thoroughfare, there needs to be greater density like this. and this looks well-planned and like an amenity to its surroundings. this is exactly where the city should encourage precisely this kind of project to be.

5. Posted by jamesjr

More orange. Any other colors in the design palette?

6. Posted by curmudgeon

I don’t understand the David Baker hatred…IMHO he produced many of our most urbane and livable housing. There is a reason why he has been so successful. Fairly uniquely, it seems to me, his public spaces are good and usable, and when there is retail in his projects it is not an afterthought, but has been carefully designed to actually work. Over the years he’s also done great jobs on assisted housing, where the budget is often tight but he’s managed to get good design results nonetheless.

• Posted by woolie

Pay no heed to the cries of the Victorian fetishists.

• Posted by Futurist

Yes, he has. I agree completely. One of the few talented architects who REALLY can produce good urban architecture on a strict budget.

We can just ignore the haters. It’s much easier to criticize than to truly understand.

7. Posted by Blabber Girl

I’m not thrilled with every aspect of this project (1601) but anything is better than the site’s current condition. I wish construction could start tomorrow but I’m sure the NIMBYs will find a way to sabotage it.