3060 Fillmore Street Site

While currently leased to Real Food Company, the neighborhood grocery which has occupied the converted auto garage for almost twenty years, the Cow Hollow buildings at 3060 Fillmore and 2169 Filbert Street have just hit the market.

The nearly 12,000 square foot site is zoned for development up to 40 feet in height. And while the pitch book for the property notes, “a grocery use remains a viable source of income for the property long term,” the site is also being marketed as a redevelopment opportunity for either a four-story residential building, or three stories of condos over a ground floor commercial space, to rise.

We’ll keep you posted and plugged-in.

Comments from Plugged-In Readers

1. Posted by soccermom

I wonder how much the sellers think the property is worth?

I wonder how easy it will be to provide 25% affordable units here?

• Posted by don

They are asking 17 Million.

• Posted by soccermom

Not sure if my math is off.

Seems like 40 units might be optimistic with 12K square foot lot and a 45′ height. So $17mm/40 units = $425K per door just for the dirt. Without plans. Without permits. Without construction costs. Without 2-4 years of NIMBY battles. And 10 units would have to be affordable.

I’d feel good about the likelihood of being able to buy sandwiches here in the near future.

2. Posted by Joe

I wonder what this means for Real Food. The Polk Street store has had trouble maintaining stock for months now. They’ve posted signs saying they aren’t going out of business, but that’s looking like its going to be the case.

3. Posted by Accounting

What about the Real Foods site in Noe?

4. Posted by Dog

I think its a 40′ limit. Am I wrong?

• Posted by SocketSite

It’s 40 feet if residential, 45 feet if mixed-use.

• Posted by Dog

Ok, I wish I could locate that in the planning code or special use district, but I can’t.

5. Posted by Gorkem

Honda Service Center down the street on Lombard would be a great location for Real Food Company to relocate…

6. Posted by Fishchum

I work right up the street and go here all the time for sandwiches. The deli and food selection is pretty good, but the service can be maddingly slow, especially when you’re in a hurry. I would worry about pushback from neighbors on any kind of condo development.

7. Posted by Orland

Leave as is.

• Posted by Dog

I guess we know what neighborhood Orland lives in. You’re always “build it” everywhere else. 🙂

• Posted by Orland

Nope. Just familiar with the place and always liked the vibe though, looking at the picture, the building could certainly carry a couple or three floors of residential.

8. Posted by MarinaBoy

The Cow Hollow Association will go crazy over this they don’t like any change in their area and will block this until the new owner is broke…RUN RUN RUN!

9. Posted by Dog

That would be awesome, but I can’t find that in the planning code.

10. Posted by Denis

Cow Hollow is ill-served by grocery stores and, oddly, drug stores. I’ve shopped here for ages. It’s a great location for housing, but I’ll miss this place. I’d like to see a bi-rite or something move into the area. I’d hate for residential over a retail store that ends up sitting vacant for 5 years…

Union Street continues to struggle for an identity. I’m not sure if women’s fitness mecca is really a thing.

11. Posted by Conifer

It has long been difficult to park if you are going to the Balboa, so they better provide two parking spaces per condo unit. Otherwise people from all over the city, at least the northern part of the city, are going to oppose this.

12. Posted by Spencer

Agree that it should be 2 parking spaces per unit in this area

13. Posted by SFresident

Apartment/condo buildings are going up all over the place. No kidding, right? One problem is that neighborhoods that are already under served with grocery stores are going to be even more strapped for places to buy food when the new buildings are occupied.

I supposed that there’s some sort of basic real estate principle where food stores are built as a delayed reaction to new dwellings. It’s reactive rather than proactive, and this delay is understandable from a business perspective, but still, as a senior without a car who endures long lines in stores now, I’m worried. In about a year, once these new buildings are up and running, it’s going to be a retail mad house.

An example: I very rarely shop at Whole Foods at California/Franklin but when I’m in there, it’s nuts. I note that there are two new buildings going up within 3 blocks of this Whole Paycheck Foods location. Even if you have the money to buy groceries there, you aren’t going to be able to get in the store. Wait til the NIMBYs who are fighting the proposed Whole Foods Lite store at the Lombardi Sports building can’t get their bale of kale. Now the Real Foods is leaving. The organically produced crap is going to hit their fans.

• Posted by soccermom

They are asking an absurd price for this property. This is a farce.

• Posted by mthd

nuts? I live a few blocks from the Franklin WF and go there all the time. it’s just fine. what’s nuts? Having to wait in line for 2 minutes to buy groceries?!? I welcome more neighbors – it will only result in more retail choices for everyone.

14. Posted by D Walker

I think a grocery store should take over the Chase Bank building at 2750 Van Ness at Lombard. Who needs another branch. And there is parking there.

15. Posted by Harmonia

And where will all these condo people buy food when all the grocery stores are gone?