Montagna Estate Aerial

The Montagna Estate was built upon 40 “Pritchard Hill” acres in St. Helena, overlooking Napa Valley below.

Constructed in 2004 for developer turned winemaker, Bob Long, the estate includes 12,000 square feet of living space across four structures, including a three-story wine tower constructed from Napa Valley stone.

Montagna Estate Pools

The property’s infinity-edged pool and spa provide some rather spectacular view of the valley below, as does the estate’s “point” which is complete with a fire pit.

Montagna Estate: The Point

And yes, there’s a proper La Cornue in the kitchen.

With Mr. Long planning to build a new home and winery for his Montagna label on an adjacent parcel of land, the estate at 141 Long Ranch Road is now on the market and listed for $27.5 million.

1. Posted by NoeValleyJim

What is the walk score? 🙂

2. Posted by May Santa bring me $27.5 million

*big belly laugh* The answer would be 100% for me. Not another person in sight for miles. Quick! Someone should build affordable housing next to the main house so it can block the view from the kitchen.

3. Posted by The Milkshake of Despair

That’s some sweet neo-rustic structural beamage in those ceilings. Nicely done and am sure the framers and finishers are proud of the final product. It is good to know that there are still artisan builders out there.

4. Posted by Brian M

There are always craftsmen out there…for a price. 🙂

• Posted by The Milkshake of Despair

Agreed. I was going to add “Too bad they’re out of reach of the average homeowner” but didn’t want to end on a down note. Interestingly people in developing countries have artisan crafted houses by default since manufactured materials are expensive. Even power tools and electricity are scarce. I wonder whether anyone has flown over a few Javanese woodworkers for a project. Give ’em room and board and pay them 4X their customary rate and everyone is happy.

• Posted by lyqwyd

This does happen, I know of somebody who has done this with some Italian craftsmen… but it’s still un-affordable to the average person…

5. Posted by Mark F.

Lovely.

6. Posted by frog

I’m a sucker for Dwellified boxes. But this interior (and exterior) is beautiful. If Victorians were this pretty, I’d understand the preservationists’ point of view far better.

7. Posted by jlasf

There are lots of beautiful estates like this in Napa. In other enclaves of the rich – the Hamptons, Palm Beach, Aspen – the large homes are on display and can be seen easily. But, in Napa, all one sees are gates and long driveways. Most people have no idea of the incredible houses that are hidden from view.

8. Posted by Dream a little dream of me...

At my age, it is unlikely I will be able to afford and/or want to build a grand estate. However, there are plenty of high end and stunning vacation homes throughout the world allowing guests. One may not be able to afford $27.5 million, but spending a grand a night to fulfill a desire and dream is relatively inexpensive. Take for instance the Burj Al Arab, one of the most iconic hotels in the world. It costs so much money to build the man-made island from which it sits and the structure itself, it would take two hundred years of full occupancy to recoup the costs. It is far less to stay a night or two but fully experience what limitless money can build.

9. Posted by TBK

Or you can go for a modern take built by local craftsmen. This one in Bali.

• Posted by The Milkshake of Despair

Wow fancy place and really expensive at $650-1000 per day. The last time I was in Indonesia the most I paid was $15/night and that was a four star international brand hotel. My cheapest night was 60 cents.

10. Posted by pvc

I wonder what it costs to run this place. Looks like those grounds take a lot of work and a lot of water.

11. Posted by formidable doer of the nasty

What’s the neighbor’s discount at Chappellet?