Removing the approved redevelopments of Candlestick/Hunters Point, Treasure Island, and Park Merced from the ranking, three long-term projects which represent nearly 24,000 of the 48,000 housing units in San Francisco’s current development pipeline, the top ten areas being targeted for the near-term development of new housing in San Francisco are:
10. The Mission (930 new units)
9. South Central (1,210 units)
8. Western Addition (1,240 units)
7. Transbay (1,340 units)
6. East SoMa (1,480 units)
5. Mission Bay* (2,088 units)
4. Rincon Hill (2,370 units)
3. Market/Octavia (2,410 units)
2. Showplace Square/Potrero Hill (2,950 units)
And with nearly 4,000 units either under construction, approved, or proposed to be built, the number one area for new housing development in San Francisco is “Downtown” which includes Mid-Market and the Tenderloin.
*UPDATE: While the Planning Department includes the Giants’ proposed Mission Rock Development as part of “South of Market, Other,” we’ve moved it to Mission Bay and updated the table and map above.
∙ The 48,000 San Francisco Units In The Works By Neighborhood [SocketSite]