CFAH

3 Redberry Ridge Aerial

Despite its 8,600-square-foot size, which doesn’t include over 1,600 square feet of terrace, the annual electric bill for the newly-built Portola Valley home at 3 Redberry Ridge will likely be less than for a 200-square-foot micro-unit in San Francisco. And that includes powering two Teslas (or the like). This is something which a lot of people probably dream of – the idea of getting a cheaper electric bill is just amazing. For most people, they would just have to consider switching energy providers to someone like Pennywise Power before they can reduce their energy bills. But that’s not the case with this house thanks to its design.

3 Redberry Ridge

With geothermal heating and cooling, a 43kW solar array, and passive solar elements, 3 Redberry Ridge was designed by Noel Cross Architects to be a Net-Zero Energy home which produces as much energy as it consumes, including the drain for two electric vehicle chargers in the 688-square-foot garage.

And with five bedrooms, five full baths and two halfs, and walls of retractable glass that overlook a 2.6 acre Blue Oaks lot, 3 Redberry Ridge has just hit the market asking $15 million.

Comments from Plugged-In Readers

1. Posted by Cal Culver

Pretty. I hope they plant a wee bit more vegetation on those slopes. I guess if I could EVER afford a $15 million house, the electric bill would probably not be much of a concern.

2. Posted by Drew P

I think they meant “ground source” rather than “geothermal”. There is difference.

3. Posted by Oh Dear

Nice. One comment, I would not have added any non-native additional vegetation (lawn).

4. Posted by unlivable city

Tesla’s are the new Hummer. All the wrong people drive them.

• Posted by Noodle

What on earth does that even mean?

• Posted by soccermom

I have wanted to create a Venn diagram image to post on media with three interlocking circles:

One is labeled: Wealth
        Another: Self-Righteous
        And a third: “Green”

The intersection of the three reads, “Personalized Tesla License Plates”

But I can’t post it, because I’ll offend some part of my peer group.

• Posted by Futurist

I hate it when I get behind a Tesla in my BMW. That electric exhaust is so nauseating.

• Posted by Tony

That was Elon Musk’s strategy from the beginning. Setting out to make an electric car for the masses is a huge undertaking, and most companies that tried failed due to lack of funding. These Tesla’s were designed to be luxury cars so that they could use the extra money to fund the R&D necessary to get the job done. It was a pragmatic decision, and it worked. Rich people are now shelling out tons of money to fund the development of what will likely be self driving cars for all.

• Posted by anon2

Like.

• Posted by Mark

Rich people + the Federal Govt is helping to pay for the cars.

• Posted by san FronziScheme

Federal Government? I thought Tesla had paid off its loan in full? If anything, I think it was money well spent, especially since Tesla has made its patents public, IIRC.

5. Posted by SFrentier

Instead of fooling around with this net zero nonsense they should have worked to eliminate those ugly steel posts right in the middle of the living space. The ones in the glass wall are fine, but in the middle of the living space? For 15 mil? Nyet!

6. Posted by alberto rossi

And all the materials, site prep and construction were zero net energy too, right?

7. Posted by NoeEnvy

Nope, energy was certainly consumed during the construction process. I’d say we’re still a ways away from having zero net emission construction sites – I’ll take zero net emission living in a house this size, that’s pretty impressive in my opinion. The only people who currently construct dwellings without any emissions are Berkeley hippies building tree houses protesting whatever the hippie cause du jour is.

8. Posted by NoeEnvy

I guess the Amish are also pretty good at zero emission construction (and everything else).

• Posted by soccermom

Methane from cattle belching and flatulence contribute meaningfully to greenhouse gas emissions.

• Posted by JR "Bob" Dobbs

I grew up in Amish country (horse-drawn deliveries of eggs and milk twice a week – in the 1970s and 80s). They burn a lot of wood. Not citing to any studies, but I imagine that per capita the Amish contribute more to bad air quality than the typical American.

• Posted by Ohlone Californio

Amish use electric tractors and engines in their barns, gas powered hydraulic saw mills, they’ll hire drivers …

• Posted by jenofla

I think the Mennonites in Mexico have been accused of wasting water.

9. Posted by skyscraperluvr

The house will pay for itself in 3.5 million years.

• Posted by Brian M

No problem. Rich people who can afford a $15 million home will live forever.

• Posted by skyscraperluvr

Actually I was referring to just the Teslas.

10. Posted by Jake

Speaking of net zero, the property website doesn’t mention the Internet service providers or bandwidth available. I know they have Comcast out there, but not sure if they’ve another provider. Paying that much money to be stuck with their terms, oooh.

BTW, Sonic started rolling out Gbps fiber to the home in a section of the Sunset, about the price most folks pay for DSL or Cable net connection. And another small slice of SF enters the 21st century.

11. Posted by BobN

The real estate website makes me sick to my stomach. Literally. They’re still photos… let them be STILL!

12. Posted by DCR

Nice house, but the aerial shot almost looks like non-contextual plantings and reworking of the natural terrain is just oozing out and spreading from the foundation. I think it would be more successful to integrate with the current native landscaping (which it almost does) rather than creating such hardline divisions. Otherwise a very nice place to live!

13. Posted by BobN

I suspect the landscaping choices are all about fending off wildfires.

• Posted by The Milkshake of Despair

That’s a bingo Bob. Though PV is hardly the most flammable part of the bay area, property owners are encouraged to keep a defensible space as well as manage the fuel loads on the ground.

• Posted by The Milkshake of Despair

Oh, and low shrubberies also do not block views.

14. Posted by AnonAnon

But I have three Teslas. Sigh.

15. Posted by SocketSite

UPDATE: The sale of 3 Redberry Ridge has closed escrow with a reported contract price of $13,297,500.

16. Posted by soccermom

So, well into 8 digits, at $1,546 psf for the end of a cul de sac in Portola Valley. Weak market indeed.