CFAH

685 Marina Boulevard Entry

Built in 1930, purchased in a foreclosure sale for $2.4 million in 2003, and renovated in 2004, the Spanish Mediterranean home at 685 Marina Boulevard hasn’t been stripped of its original style and character.

But modern features (such as heated bathroom floors) and amenities (pot filler alert) have been seamlessly integrated into the four-bedroom Marina home which is now on the market for $6.75 million.

Comments from Plugged-In Readers

1. Posted by MarinaBoy

Beautiful!

2. Posted by Larry

Reminds me of that house in “Double Indemnity”. I expected to see Barbara Stanwyck at the top of the stairs in a towel.

3. Posted by Just My Opinion

I think the house would benefit from a bit more faux painting, and more detail. Particularly the kitchen. I think there are a few more square inches that have not been touched by the interior decorator. I guess in this case, more is more.

4. Posted by sf

So tasteful. I would prefer a nice bright white instead of the “sponge” beige of the walls and ceilings.

• Posted by Gur

Beautiful, tasteful, consistent and with the right level of detail. You can see the expense in fine details like the handmade tiles, iron work, and exposed hinged inset cabinetry. Although I’m not a fan of the color on the walls in some rooms, I’m thinking it’s tinted plaster. I’d prefer an off-white like the kitchen ceiling — bright white would be too harsh against the warm woods and tile. That’s a quibble. To see it done wrong,

5. Posted by soccermom

These pictures smell like old rich women.

• Posted by Mark

Because all the young, rich tech and finance folks would prefer sleek white and steel like you see in NV and the Mission? Your comment, like many of yours on this site, is ridiculous. Also, pictures don’t smell.

• Posted by shza

Do you really think Mediterranean (across the world from the Mediterranean) is more than a niche style that most people (and particularly most young people) don’t choose to live in full time?

(and soccermom has my vote for most witty commenter two years running)

• Posted by SF Social-lite

Yes, Mediterranean is a niche style. Most all homes in the Marina fit in the niche.

• Posted by EBGuy

Mediterranean is the climate we’re all payin’ for…

• Posted by BobN

It’s not like this area ever belonged to Spain or anything…

• Posted by shza

Oh, come on. This neighborhood didn’t even exist until centuries after the Spaniards. I’ll double down and put it out there that an Ohlone hut would be “niche housing” as well.

• Posted by BobN

I mean that there is a local style based on homes built during the Spanish colonial period in the Americas. This isn’t “Mediterranean”.

• Posted by Oh Dear

Yeah, i like the smell of old rich women, or rich people in general. After all I live in western SOMA and smell young poor people everyday…

• Posted by 4th gen SF'er

True but don’t you love senior ladies & gents? I love them. They’re awesome, and the stories they could tell….

6. Posted by byconti

Also a fan of soccermom. Frequenly spot on, never boring, much appreciated from this corner.

7. Posted by michelleL

Soccer mom fan too! Keep posting!

8. Posted by Mark F.

Overall a great house, although I’d make a few changes here and there.

9. Posted by Fishchum

Is it worth noting Nina Hatvany has had trouble getting a buyer for her listing on Marina Blvd. at just under $9M? It’s been on a while and reduced in price.

10. Posted by Conifer

No doubt the developer got a discount on all the little lights in the ceilings.
    But compared to the white shoebox it might have been, the developer at least preserved the architectural inspiration of the original.
    What is going to happen to houses in the Marina in the next 1989 or larger earthquake? Is there a discount for the risk?
    Bravo!

• Posted by 4th gen SF'er

Having been IN the Marina when there was a huge jolt once, it was unlike anything I’ve ever felt before in any earthquake zone. It felt like the building was on ice and was sliding. Scariest feeling ever, and I’ve lived through quite a few earthquakes in different parts. The building I was in survived intact, this was before the last big one.

11. Posted by jamesjr

Love it!!

12. Posted by MarinaBoy

It sold!

13. Posted by SocketSite

UPDATE The sale of 685 Marina Boulevard has just closed escrow with a reported contract price of $7,035,000 ($1,801 per square foot).