4135 Stone Valley Oaks Drive, Alamo

Fired four games into the 2014 season with a cumulative 8-28 record and 0-4 season start, former Oakland Raiders Head Coach Dennis Allen is returning to the New Orleans Saints as a defensive assistant and ditching his 5,336-square-foot East Bay pad in Alamo.

Listed for $3,499,000, the five-bedroom home at 4135 Stone Valley Oaks Drive sits on an acre of land with a gentlemen’s “vineyard,” pool, and party pavilion out back.

4135 Stone Valley Oaks Drive Pavillion

Allen purchased the property for $2,995,000 when he joined the Raiders in 2012.

Comments from Plugged-In Readers

1. Posted by San Francisco

Where is Alamo?

• Posted by moto mayhem

san antonio?

• Posted by actionless action

about as far away from civilization as you can get and have a swimming pool filled with east bay mud

• Posted by HeatLover

The pool is because they actually get a real summer, with many warm dry bright days, and cool evenings. Not everyone wants 55 degrees in July. This may sound strange to some, but every summer we go a couple of weekends and stay at certain resorts up in Napa (Auberge, Calistoga Ranch, or Solage) just so we can get a couple of warm dry days by a swimming pool.

• Posted by The Milkshake of Despair

Or as the English say “A sun holiday”.

• Posted by ess

When do we get to see the basement?

• Posted by The Milkshake of Despair

A great feature of this new Socketsite page design is the google map inset in the upper right. Not sure where a property is located? Just hit the “-” button a few times to zoom out.

2. Posted by Don

Gosh, San Franciscans are so worldly. Thirty miles from home and you’re just lost. Alamo is a few miles south of Walnut Creek. Walnut Creek is on the other side of those hills you can see when you’re admiring your bridge lights, just beyond Murder City and the hippies. There are 2 or 3 million people over there. Crazy, huh?

• Posted by Matt in Uptown

I’ve never heard Emeryville called Murder City?

• Posted by actionless action

Richmond, not Emeryville.
        Oh, and Oaktown toooo.
        The Tweedledeadly and Tweedledeadlier of the lands beyond the bay.

• Posted by Matt in Uptown

They’re all on the Bay…

• Posted by actionless action

on the bay
            on the fbi list of most violent cities
            on the way to santa rita
            onward oaklandia

• Posted by Matt in Uptown

I know what list you’re on.

3. Posted by The Milkshake of Despair

The good news about fauxcades like this is that when the stone veneer look becomes dated, it is not too expensive to tear it off and replace with stucco. Or fake wood siding.

4. Posted by DebbieDowner

“The Alamo doesn’t have a basement silly, everyone knows that…….lolololol”

5. Posted by djt

I work in Pleasanton. Yesterday, at a company function in Blackhawk, I drove through some prime suburban areas of the Tri-Valley area. I forgot how awful suburbs were. Huge streets with medians the width of building lots in Berkeley, where I live. I was sitting at an intersection waiting to turn left, and the shopping center on the opposite corner had a Safeway. The distance from me to the Safeway, which in this case was occupied by just an intersection, was further than the two blocks I am currently from Safeway. That two blocks contains a parish church and school; dozens of dwellings; several small office complexes, and a park. Although a car confers the notion of freedom, I never feel more trapped than when I am sitting in a car in such an environment. Too much time waiting. Too much sitting. No freedom of motion. Ugly. Vast expanses of boring terrain.

• Posted by HeatLover

I have never understood why San Franciscans try so hard to look down on so many. Noe Valley is FULL of single family homes with garages, and back yards. I have noticed that I overhear conversations in “the city” about which Audi SUV to buy “the Q5 or Q7″, and whether ” Hualalai is really that much better than Kukio”. I have had a very kind and generous client out in Blackhawk who is a former Apple executive who cashed out and retired. He wanted to live out there because he was in love with the hills, hiking, SUNSHINE and weather, and he and his wife wanted land and views of nature which is something neither of them had growing up in N.Y.C. and Boston. I live in a high rise and don’t have a yard, and walk almost everywhere but have little time to worry about urban planning in Blackhawk. To each his own.

• Posted by moto mayhem

i agree with you about noe valley. it is pretty much a suburb within the city.

• Posted by NoeValleyJim

Population density:
          Noe Valley: 24,343 people per square mile
          San Francisco: 17,407 people per square mile

Alamo: 1,507.2 people per square mile

• Posted by The Milkshake of Despair

Look on the bright side djt. In Blackhawak you didn’t encounter either of the twin nightmares haunting urban motorists: congestion and finding a free parking spot (which you might need to PAY for!).

• Posted by Brian M

No homeless screamers “depositing” on your front stoop, either. 🙁

• Posted by NoeValleyJim

Funny, that has not happened to me in 21 years of living in San Francisco.

6. Posted by Amewsed

Poor guy should have rented instead of purchased.

My college roommate was from Alamo, CA. Came from an Irish family of five, played soccer, went to Montevista High, knew football team from DeLaSalle High School (feeder school to Cal football), later pledged a sorority, graduated and became a real estate agent, got married, had a child, and is now living back in the area. I guess she is happy.

7. Posted by Just My Opinion

Actually Alamo is a really nice community. It is one on the only towns in Contra Costa that has consistently voted to stay unincorporated. The people like the rural nature of the town, without the overlay of the a City government. Alamo still has a Sheriff, and depends on the county for basic services. Large lots (zoned minimum half-acre), and much of the west side is not the pretentiousness of Blackhawk, referenced above. BTW, Blackhawk is NOT IN ALAMO, and most residents of Alamo proudly say that. Alamo is only 30 minutes from SF by BART and about that drive time with no traffic. It is not for everyone, but the East Bay towns are very diverse (from each other) and there really are no generalizations that can be made about the towns. And yes, the weather is awesome!

• Posted by Brian M

I agree to a degree, JMO. Although there is a slightly frightening “Stepford Wives” kind of vibe about the place, which has to be one of the WHITEST areas in Northern California, one cannot deny that it is lovely. The oak trees, the views of Diablo, the warmer weather, the creeks, the hills.

Actually played hooky yesterday and did some cycling in the area. By the time I was through, i had spent 60 miles climbing up and down the hills and side roads and cul-de-sacs of the area. Pretty…especially this time of year.

At the same time, I understand djt’s point. The vast infrastructure to store and move three ton subruban battlewagons is terrifying. This cul de sac site is lovely, but one can’t get to anything without a long drive. Unsustainable lifestyle, exacerbated by those 1/2 lots of water sucking landscaping.

• Posted by frog

It’s not a lifestyle I would choose. But I grew up in a very rural area and that’s every bit as wasteful – e.g, suburbia is no worse than the deep country. However, to put things in perspective, I bet you use 100 times the resources of a couple billion people on this planet and are in the global 1% of income. In other words, your lifestyle is completely unsustainable by your own definition. Everyone on this website falls into that category. Think about that before spouting off holier than thou suburban nonsense.

• Posted by Ham

Sounds perfect to me, something to aspire to!

8. Posted by TJ

I think any kind of analysis of Alamo that tries to compare it to denser, urban or mixed-urban areas like SF or even Berkeley is missing the point. The more interesting question is how does it compare with other, low density, high value communities that are similarly far from the SF core like Saratoga, Los Gatos, Mill Valley, Lamorinda, etc.

There are lots of different options out there for people who make the suburb move and I find it really interesting to see the different valuations that those communities trade at.