While it won’t be official until Mayor Lee signs on the line, San Francisco’s Board of Supervisors has just approved landmark status for the “Market Street Masonry District,” a grouping of eight buildings on or near Market Street between Franklin and Valencia.
The notable eight buildings in the District were designed by architects such as August Nordin, G. Albert Landsburgh, Conrad A. Meussdorffer and George Applegarth and are known for their association with San Francisco’s reconstruction after the 1906 earthquake, constructed out of earthquake and fire-resistant materials between 1911 and 1925.
With another reconstuction of Market Street and a dozen new developments around the Masonry district underway, the landmarking should support “a balance of new development while retaining historical features around Market Street” as envisoned by Planning.
The newly landmarked district will be the twelfth in San Francisco, the first new district to be designated as such in ten years and the eleventh of which is the Dogpatch Landmark District which was designated in 2003.
∙ San Francisco’s Market Street Masonry Discontiguous District [SocketSite]
∙ San Francisco’s Historic <1 Percent And Eleven Landmark Districts [SocketSite]