Purchased for $530,000 in early 2011, the three-level loft condo #108 at 16 Jessie Street (a.k.a. One Ecker) returned to the market listed for $998,000 eight days ago and is already in contract.

Expect the gain to help feed, or perhaps pay off, the seller’s rather serious handbag habit harbored in the walk-in closet below.

Comments from Plugged-In Readers

1. Posted by Oh Dear

Were the hangbags staged? LOL

• Posted by Pfffttt

Handbags were totally staged.

[Editor’s Note: That’s totally incorrect.]

• Posted by BobN

I hope so, otherwise this thread is teeny bit creepy.

2. Posted by Amewsed

That is one power lesbian. Am I wrong? Kinda sexy.

• Posted by Blah

Yeah and who needs a dining table or place to eat.

• Posted by Amewsed

Looking at the juxtaposition of the artwork in the living room and the bedroom (a bad ass nun)…

3. Posted by Blah

Those units were a good deal when originally sold, so I am not surprised at the price jump. Very central location even if its kind of dead on the weekends and after 5pm.

• Posted by Bertie Anglis

To the contrary, there’s a very lively homeless scene there during evenings and weekends.

• Posted by soccermom

I laughed out loud.

• Posted by Brian M

and capitalism in its rawest form, of course!

All Praise The Market (PBIN)

4. Posted by BirkinBagsAreTired

She’s Asian and works at Hermes.

5. Posted by Pfffttt

Either way, staged or not, it’s way tacky.

6. Posted by BrisketLover

Forget the apartment, how much for the monkey paintings?

7. Posted by Bagfreak

The Hermes bags/accessories are valued at about $400,000…The Large croc alone is about $75k.

• Posted by soccermom

That’s what they told me in Shenzhen too.

• Posted by Amewsed

Doubt that the bags are fake. No need to showcase fake bags in home, and especially in seller’s marketing materials. The bags and the wine are geared towards a wealthy Chinese single female buyer. That is what they are into. If the target client was male, you would be looking at a display of expensive watches and all the latest Apple products.

I know other high-profile women who own exclusive lines of Hermes products from bags and scarves to dinnerware (which I didn’t know Hermes had.)

8. Posted by Anna

Jesus, that’s an impressive / intimidating collection of bags. Love the monkey paintings too. And the wine!

9. Posted by Mr. McDuff

Mmmkay. The bags all look the same. Booorr-ing.

• Posted by BobN

To the untrained eye…

• Posted by Pfffttt

@ Mr. McDuff: Right?! They’re all the same/similar styles and practically the same color. Boorrring . . .

10. Posted by IMEANREALLY

The bags are not fake, the owner is not Asian, and she doesn’t work at Hermes. She shops there. Also it was not staged.

• Posted by Amewsed

She is extra hot! Thanks for the reveal of a private home. Folks here can’t contemplate someone owning bags worth more than their entire net worth. $400K is what she spends on bags alone, no need to even ask how much she has in her bank account. I hope she isn’t moving to London or Paris.

• Posted by BobN

I’m glad it’s already in contract because with all this talk of 100Ks of portable contents, I’m sure the next open house would be pretty scary for the owner.

[Editor’s Note: It’s not a coincidence we held our piece until the condo was in contract.]

• Posted by Pfffttt

If she really spent $400K on handbags alone, having to replace a couple stolen ones from an open house is a nonissue.

@Amewsed: It’s not that we can’t contemplate the cost of the bags . . . it’s the lack of taste/variety/style. But to each their own. Just not my “bag.”

Oh. My liquid net worth is more than her bag collection, btw. Just sayin’ . . .

• Posted by BobN

We have such a sensible Editor. Considerate, too.

11. Posted by Amewsed

Try again. Open house is by invitation only.

True wealth need no words.

• Posted by soccermom

I buy all handbag at favorite shop True Wealth in Guangzhou. Need no words.

12. Posted by Pfffttt

Kind of makes for interesting wall decor, but a wine cellar, this is not. Depending upon the temp in the loft, one better drink a lot of wines regularly in order to move/rotate them all out before they go bad.

13. Posted by jamesjr

Great one, soccermom.
    I’m still laughing.
    Can’t this woman buy more than one brand? How about a Bottega Veneta or two?

14. Posted by shza

One window, onto what’s basically an alley with a building directly across. The lack of natural light would be horribly depressing.

And, while it made for good thread-fodder, the (egotistical) decision not to stage seems like a dumb move. I do like the monkey paintings though.

• Posted by R

I can’t even find the monkey paintings amongst all the rest of the clutter.

15. Posted by Guiseppie Fiordano

Is Helen Keller the decorator?

16. I was able to find good information from your articles.