1285 Sutter Street Facade 9/1/11 (www.SocketSite.com)
Behind the Galaxy’s façade, the tower for which has been stripped of glass, the wrecking crew is in action and the long overdue demolition of 1285 Sutter Street is underway.
1285 Sutter Street Falling (www.SocketSite.com)
As we first reported last week:

Permits to demolish the long shuttered Galaxy Theater at 1285 Sutter Street and erect a 13-story building with 107 condominiums over 10,000 square feet of retail (Trader Joe’s lease for which expired) and basements for 127 parking spaces were approved last week.

1285 Sutter Rendering

As a plugged-in tipster reports, the site which was purchased by Portland, Oregon based developer Gerding Edlen for $9.25 million (versus an $18 million ask in 2008) has since been fenced off and demolition is imminent.

Once again, if all goes as scheduled, the new building should be construction complete and ready for occupancy and retailing in early 2013. We’ll keep you plugged-in.
1285 Sutter Approved For Imminent Demolition And Reconstruction [SocketSite]
1285 Sutter: Fully Entitled, Retail Pre-Leased, And…On The Market [SocketSite]

Comments from Plugged-In Readers

1. Posted by jimmythekid

Does anyone remember when the theater was built?

2. Posted by SFer

@jimmythekid: According to a quick search “the Galaxy was built in 1984.”

3. Posted by Modernqueen

Good riddance to that really ugly Galaxy Theater.

4. Posted by Mole Man

It was only shuttered for a few years. Compared to some other theaters around that isn’t even competitive. Has it even been a full decade? Good progress in any case.

5. Posted by Turin

I’m glad to see this space will be used once again, but I kind of liked the old building. There was a playfulness in the stacked glass boxes that appealed to me. Not a huge loss or anything, but I’ll miss it. Not enough to outweigh having this corner active again though.

6. Posted by ph_goat

Glad this corner will be back in use, but that new building is pretty tepid.

7. Posted by cc

Good riddance! Anything we can do to erase and negate 80’s architecture is welcome.

8. Posted by Wai Yip Tung

Good riddance. Our next generation is not going to experience so much of going to a cinema to see a movie.

9. Posted by EH

I always take people who discount an entire decade of architecture seriously.

10. Posted by inmycountry

Back when it was new, the architect, Jeff Heller, claimed his design for the Galaxy was “going to inspire people to dress up to go to the movies”!

11. Posted by Alai

I have to admit when I saw it as a kid I thought it was pretty cool. I’m surprised no one tried to landmark the glass box thing. But I basically agree with Turin.

12. Posted by JR

The earlier renderings for this building, when it was still slated for condos and under development by the entity that built 8 Orchids next to the Oakland jail, were much more exciting.

13. Posted by Modernqueen

Actually, the architect was KMD, where Jeff Heller worked. He now has his own firm Heller/Manus and still doesn’t have talent.

14. Posted by rubber_chicken

Riddle me this:
    Where is the logic in allowing this theatre to be demo’d with its recently functioning theatres and extravagant glass lobby, while preserving these other banal, blighted hulks in amber? See Harding, Tower, et al:

15. Posted by joh

I thought it was the coolest theater ever when it was first built. The glass and the neon was straight out of an 80s teensploitation flick. I was like 13 or 14 back then.