CFAH

106 Coleridge Kitchen

The new listing for 106 Coleridge at $1,295,000 touts, “Once in a lifetime opportunity.” It had been listed for $1,495,000 in February before being withdrawn from the MLS in May. Of course the Bernal property wasn’t listed as short sale back then.

106 Coleridge

And while the renovated Victorian doesn’t feature the same level of detailing throughout, it does feature some rather impressive woodwork and design, which all makes sense seeing as how it’s the home office of Clearheart Fine Design and Building.

∙ Listing: 106 Coleridge (4/3) 2,828 sqft – $1,295,000 (short sale) [MLS]

Comments from Plugged-In Readers

1. Posted by diemos

Pretty.
    That’s what I think a million dollar home should look like.

2. Posted by Ebro

Is photo #20 supposed to be a bedroom? Yikes.
    Also, the kitchen island looks like it needs a statue of a Greek goddess on top.
    Love the deck, and the sword over the fireplace.

3. Posted by xyz

Fabulous house and great location. They modernized it while retaining the great period touches. Really nicely done.

4. Posted by curmudgeon

they seemed to do one room at a time. When you look at the pics it appears to be two different houses – one fully “done”, one not done at all. It would be very interesting to see in person to try to put it all together…

5. Posted by brandno

Maybe it looks better in person. The wood/marble/paint combos in most of the room look pretty awful to me.

6. Posted by xyz

Which part is not done? I think the attic and basement rooms may appear to be less fancy, but they all look finished and well maintained.

7. Posted by curmudgeon

I may have overstated, but bedrooms like pics 17 and 20 (!) are in fact clean, but have none of the detail of some of the other rooms. That’s not necessarily bad, but there’s quite a contrast when you look pic by pic.

8. Posted by curmudgeon

BTW, I really like Clearheart’s facade work…it’s real quality. I’m sorry to see that Skeeter is in a short sale position.

9. Posted by anonee

ouch,
    a failed flip in bernal? surprising to see so much work go into this and then have it go back to the bank. i’ve seen this fellow’s facade restoration work and its top drawer so i imagine someone will be very happy with this house. it seems the problem remains the location/price metric.

10. Posted by SFSal

“I’m sorry to see that Skeeter is in a short sale position.”
    Don’t feel sorry for Skeeter, feel sorry for Wamu. Tax basis is under $200k but refinanced in 2005 for $980k!

11. Posted by The Milkshake of Despair

Wow, this is fabulous work. It kind of reminds me of a demure toned down version of this steampunk house.
    It will sell for over asking.
    Now compare this for what was selling in this range on Bernal three years ago.

12. Posted by curmudgeon

Well, Skeeter put a great deal of work into it, and has presumably been paying the mortage for these many years, so I do still feel sorry for him…it’s a labor of love and he’s losing it….it’s no simple “flip”. Take a look at the original structure featured on his website. He has completely transformed the place.
    I imagine that his business has completely dried up, and he was unable to keep up with the mortgage payments. Not knowing the details of what he did with the refinanced amount in 2005 (plowed it into this, his business, or crack, or some combination of the above) one really can’t assign any blame…sounds to me he got a little caught up in the bubble and was unprepared for the downturn. The same can be said about many of us.

13. Posted by sanfrantim

Can someone explain why this is a short sale at $1.295 if seller only owes $980? All I can think is there may be earlier loans not reflected in the records available thru propertyshark.

14. Posted by ex SF-er

some of the woodwork and details in that house are amazing. I absolutely love the hardwood floors with their inlaid border.
    I also have a hard time calling this a “flip”. This was a true renovation. In general I like to see good work rewarded and garbage work punished, so I’m sad to see this go into foreclosure

15. Posted by bernalkid

looked at his website and have probably seen some of his work around. I know Vic facades are not necessarily “restrained” but the authentic stuff that I admire is more restrained than his onslaught of ornament.

16. Posted by noearch

I’m sure the quality of workmanship and wood working skills are incredible. But I agree completely with bernalkid.
    But one should separate “design” from execution. His “recreated” Victorian facades are really pretty hideous and way overdone. They are far from authentic. Way too much additional ornamentation and repetition of parts. True, original Victorian facades and interiors never had this kind of mish mash of details. It’s just so wrong. Only Disneyland produces this kind of fake imagery.

17. Posted by yunion

Because something is happening here. But you don’t know what it is. Do you, Mister Jones?
    Bob Dylan – Ballad of a Thin Man

18. Posted by SocketSite

The list price for 106 Coleridge has been reduced to $1,195,000.

19. “It will sell for over asking.
    Now compare this for what was selling in this range on Bernal three years ago.”

20. Posted by SocketSite

The sale of 106 Coleridge closed escrow this past Thursday with a reported contract price of $1,290,000.

21. Posted by sanfrantim

8% over the (reduced) asking, and 15% under original Feb 10 asking.

Comments are closed.