Our VIP coverage of Heritage on Fillmore sparked an email from an Alamo Square resident concerned with the general development of the neighborhood (“[I’m] disappointed by the lack of vision and activity in this stretch [of Fillmore]”.
The “plugged in” reader provides “5 Suggestions To Turn Around Fillmore”:
1. Destroy McDonald’s — Develop mid-rise condos – mixed use (OK McDonald’s on bottom floor if we must)
2. Northern Police station across street – HUGE waste of prime residential space. Obscene & in-your-face govt use of almost an entire block for parking. Develop 15-story condo w/police station on ground floor – (this lot can accommodate several hundred units -it’s huge).
3. PGE Substation. Upzone it for more than the slated 37 units.
4. Upzone Japantown — what’s with the whole 1 story block across from Japantown? This is a key intersection w/fine transit. What about adding 3 stories of condos on top of that depressing dreary & sad mall? Reconfiguring the mall with housing on top (in even a more authentic design) has to be the future.
5. Kill KFC and the one-story mini-mall on Steiner and Geary — if ever there were a perfect developable corner across from park, – great transit, views, no cars needed.